I know it’s only Monday, but hopefully you have some fun Labor Day plans in the works for the upcoming holiday weekend! If any of them include hosting or attending a BBQ, this Grilled Sweet Potato “Bun” Slider recipe would be fabulous addition to the menu. So much healthier than a regular burger and you’ll be amazed at how delicious the sweet potato “buns” are…trust…you will not be missing a thing!
These burgers are a serious “taste” of summer babes. Look how fresh and gorgeous all the produce is and I made sure to include lots of seasoning in the burgers. Microwaving the sweet potatoes a little before you grill them, cuts down on the cooking time and creates a much better “bun”…crispier on the outside and a little softer on the inside. With so much flavor in the meat + all the delicious veggies, I didn’t serve them with any mustard or ketchup or anything…you’ll have to see what you think, but I thought they were super tasty on their own! They are quick and easy to make too! I surprised even myself when I was putting them together…it was so fast.
Perfect gluten free alternative this weekend or anytime you are craving a burger. Eating healthier can be delicious and is definitely not about deprivation. When you shift your focus to seeing all the positive things that come from eating healthy food versus fixating on unhealthy food as what you “can’t have”; you notice how much more energy you have, how you don’t get bloated anymore after you eat, how much better your clothes fit and also how much more delicious healthy food tastes! Eating more plants and eating real food is so much a part of a healthy lifestyle…eat what you love and love what you eat babes! xo
- For the burgers:
- 1 pound organic grass fed ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- For the buns:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- For the toppings:
- Tomato. sliced
- Avocado, mashed
- Fresh spinach
- Pre heat your grill on high.
- Wash the sweet potato and pierce it several times with a fork. Grab 3-4 paper towels. Soak them with water, then wring out the excess liquid. Wrap the sweet potato in the paper towel and place it in your microwave for 5 minutes. Cook it enough to soften just a bit, but not too much to where it gets mushy.
- Remove the sweet potato from the microwave. Allow it to cool. Then gently slice it into ½" rounds for the “buns”.
- Brush each side of the sweet potato rounds with olive oil and season with salt. Set aside.
- Next, take all the burger ingredients and combine them in a large bowl. Mix until everything is combined. Separate the meat mixture into 8 sections. Form a small slider size patty with each section. Brush each side of the patties lightly with olive oil.
- Once the grill is pre heated, turn it down to medium. Then place the sweet potato "buns" and burgers directly on the grill. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until they reach the desired level of done-ness. Remove from grill and cover to keep warm.
- To serve, top a sweet potato "bun" with mashed avocado, fresh spinach, a slice of tomato, one slider and one more sweet potato round.