Who’s feeling like a detox is in order this week? Oh Thanksgiving…no matter what, I always feel like I need to amp up my efforts the next day/week to get back on track with a super healthy nutrition plan and fitness schedule. I just want to eat tons of veggies, lean protein and healthy fats, drink lots of water, maybe even sign up for an extra workout class ( ie. Cyclebar Lohi last Saturday morning! Thank you…that ride was exactly what I needed). It is just that feeling of wanting to get back to all the stuff that makes me feel amazing! Which brings me to this little gem! The BbE Green Detox Smoothie from Whole Nectar Smoothie Bar.
If you are close to downtown Denver, stop in and try one, but if not, we are bringing the recipe to you so you can make it at home! Super simple, healthy and delicious! Perfect as pre or post workout fuel and definitely a great way to start detoxing your nutrition! Check out the recipe below as well as my TOP 5 NUTRITION DETOX TIPS! Looking forward to feeling focused, fit and healthy this week! xo
DETOX GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
- 1 cup frozen bananas
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 16 ounces unsweetened almond milk
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
BbE’s TOP 5 NUTRITION DETOX TIPS:
- Veggies, veggies and more veggies. Whether you are trying to detox, clean up your nutrition or just get back on track, vegetables should absolutely be your “go-to” food. Make sure you get a serving with each main meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and also try to include them as snacks and pre or post workout. An ideal day would be a veggie omelette for breakfast, a big salad at lunch with lots of different veggies, a BbE Detox Green Smoothie post workout and grilled, roasted or steamed veggies with dinner.
- H. 2. O! Fill that water bottle up babes and keep drinking and refilling it all day. You want to drink at least 96 ounces a day. Limit juices and any sweetened drinks and definitely no soda. Staying hydrated keeps your metabolism up, helps you flush out toxins and also helps stabilize your hunger levels.
- Going modified Keto. I don’t personally subscribe to a completely ketogenic plan, but I do believe in not only the long term health benefits of a modified Ketogenic diet, but on a modified Keto diet, I have lost body fat and leaned out as well as experienced an increase in energy and a decrease in “hangriness”. It stabilizes your blood sugar and keeps you feeling full longer, not to mention how it benefits your skin, nails and hair. I’m so loving it! Are you wondering what a modified Keto diet looks like? The quick answer is: Low Carb + High Fat. What it looks like for me? Starting the day off with a cup of Bulletproof Coffee (coffee + 1 scoop Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder + 1 teaspoon Bulletproof XCT Oil), including half an avocado and lean protein with lunch and dinner, cooking with olive and coconut oil and eliminating grains, processed carbs and sugar all day, everyday.
- Which leads me to TIPS 4 & 5: Eliminating grains, processed carbs and sugar. If you really want to get rid of your unhealthy food cravings, stop feeling bloating and avoid energy crashes…no more grains or processed carbs. To really detox, you’re going to want to stop eating all grains…wheat and white flour obvi, but also the not so obvious: quinoa, rice, corn, oats and gluten free flours. By eliminating all grains and processed carbs, you might find you’re able to kick your carb addiction as well as reach your weight loss goals. If you want to read more, check out this article from Dr. Axe. Still not sure? Give it a try babes…I promise you’ll see and feel a difference after just a few days.
- And finally…let’s talk about the ultimate culprit…sugar. Sugar is by far the most addictive food and including it in your daily diet is absolutely the cause of your sugar cravings. It might be a little tough in the beginning, but following the other 4 BbE Detox tips will definitely make it easier. Eating more healthy fats will help you feel satisfied and full and decreasing your carb intake will help with your cravings. Go 10 days without grains and sugar and you will be amazed! Your skin will be glowing, your clothes will fit looser, you’ll sleep better, you’ll have more energy and be way less cranky. Get a jump start on this now. Why wait until New Years? Seriously one of the best ways to implement some really positive eating habits and start creating a healthier lifestyle for yourself! Bottoms up! xo
Struggling to fit a workout into your day? We know how it feels to be crunched for time and with the holidays approaching, it is only going to get busier. Concerned about balancing a hectic holiday schedule and your fitness goals? We’ve gotcha babes! Even with a jam-packed calendar, you can still build your dream body the BbE way. We’re revealing our tips on how to make your fit lifestyle happen as well as the most effective and efficient workouts you can do when you are crunched for time!
HOW TO MAKE YOUR FIT LIFESTYLE HAPPEN…
Get Organized… In order to make sure you get your workouts in, you are going to have to get organized. Decide how many hours per week you can dedicate to fitness. Then, take a look at your schedule and plug in your workouts just like you would an appointment or meeting. Write down exactly what you plan to do for your workout as well as how long the workout will be (ie. HIIT Class/30 minutes, Strength Training Back, Biceps & Legs/40 minutes). Add them up and make sure you are hitting your goal for the week. Treat these scheduled workouts just like you would anything else on your calendar. If you are going to be exercising during or right after work, be sure and pack your gym bag the night before and keep pre and post workout snacks at the office. Rise Protein bars and Chike Protein powder are a couple of BbE favorites and can easily be stored at work or in your desk.
Focus & Efficiency… Write out your goals and decide what you are trying to accomplish with your workouts. Next, figure out what type of workouts are going to be the most effective for getting the results you want. Once you get into the gym and are ready to go, get dialed in and focus. NO cell phones, no chatting, no distractions. Get in there, know what you are going to do and Get. It. Done. Utilize every precious moment you have with the most effective movements and exercise programs designed with your goals in mind. Not sure what will work best for you? Keep reading…we will outline and explain the benefits of the top “time crunch” workouts next.
If you only have 30-40 minutes a day to workout, you are going to have to truly make the most of your time and exercise program in order to make your fit lifestyle happen! Let’s take a look at some time efficient workouts and see what is going to be the most effective in getting you to your goal! SO…what’s your goal?
Improve Cardiovascular Fitness, Endurance & Increase Pace
If your goal is to improve your cardiovascular fitness, endurance and/or increase your pace and you are short on time, your workout “go-to” is going to be cardio intervals. Cardio Interval training is simply alternating bursts of intense activity with intervals of lighter activity (i.e., alternating between one minute of slow jogging and one minute of running vs. staying at a “steady state”). Studies have shown that you can burn the same amount of calories in a shorter interval workout as you would in a longer, lower-intensity workout. Need a specific plan? Check out some of our favorites!
SHAPE Magazine : Interval Training: Short Workouts That Really Pay Off
Fitness Magazine: Get Your Best Body Ever Cardio Countdown
You’ve also probably heard about HIIT (high-intensity interval training) and the benefits it has on improving endurance and burning calories in a shorter amount of time. Similar to interval training, HIIT mixes short bursts of high-intensity movement with low- to medium-intensity recovery periods. HIIT is being touted as the most effective form of cardio for changing body composition. Instead of merely burning calories, it specifically targets your body’s fat cells. It is an efficient way to burn fat and lose weight without losing muscle. Perfect for you time crunched BbE babes! If you are new to HIIT, Fitness Blender has a lot of awesome HIIT workouts for you, just head to their website and search for HIIT. One of our favorites is HIIT Like A Girl …fabulous body weight HIIT workout, complete with a warm-up and cool down.
Decrease Body Fat, Increase Lean Muscle Mass and Lose Weight
If your goal is to decrease your body fat, increase lean muscle mass and burn calories more efficiently for weight loss, it may surprise you, but your best bet is to head to the gym and grab some weights!
Circuit strength training is the most effective method for getting lean and losing weight. Strength training has an advantage over cardio in that your workouts allow you to maintain your lean muscle mass as you lose fat, giving you a toned and tight physique. Replacing fat with lean muscle will not only increase your overall metabolism, but research has found that following a total-body weight workout, the participants’ metabolisms were raised for 39 hours after the workout was completed. You will also burn more calories during a lifting workout as compared to cardio. Doing a strength training circuit consisting of eight moves (which takes about eight minutes) can burn between 150 and 225 calories. In comparison, the average female burns about 100 calories per mile running at a 10-mile-per-hour pace. Strength training can potentially give you twice the amount of calorie burn during your workout in addition to the extra calories burned post workout from the raised metabolic rate. Strength training is truly the workout for you, if you are looking to get the most out of every minute!
Wondering what kind of exercises to include? Exercises that recruit the largest number of muscles (squats, lunges, kettlebell swings, squat thrusts, inverted rows, push ups and multi-joint movements) are going to burn the most calories. If you aren’t sure how to design your own strength training circuit, here are a couple of workouts we think are fabulous!
By doing these exercises in a continuous circuit with little to no rest between exercises and keeping your reps between 12 and 24 per exercise, you will get a super challenging workout, build some beautiful muscle, burn calories at an accelerated rate and get to your fitness and weight loss goals quicker and more efficiently than you thought possible!
There you go babes! Don’t let a busy schedule hold you back! You can absolutely build your dream body and make your fit lifestyle happen with just a little organization, focus, efficiency and some amazingly effective workouts! Make it happen! xo