Who’s feeling like a detox is in order this week? Oh Thanksgiving…no matter what, I always feel like I need to amp up my efforts the next day/week to get back on track with a super healthy nutrition plan and fitness schedule. I just want to eat tons of veggies, lean protein and healthy fats, drink lots of water, maybe even sign up for an extra workout class ( ie. Cyclebar Lohi last Saturday morning! Thank you…that ride was exactly what I needed). It is just that feeling of wanting to get back to all the stuff that makes me feel amazing! Which brings me to this little gem! The BbE Green Detox Smoothie from Whole Nectar Smoothie Bar.
If you are close to downtown Denver, stop in and try one, but if not, we are bringing the recipe to you so you can make it at home! Super simple, healthy and delicious! Perfect as pre or post workout fuel and definitely a great way to start detoxing your nutrition! Check out the recipe below as well as my TOP 5 NUTRITION DETOX TIPS! Looking forward to feeling focused, fit and healthy this week! xo
DETOX GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
- 1 cup frozen bananas
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 16 ounces unsweetened almond milk
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
BbE’s TOP 5 NUTRITION DETOX TIPS:
- Veggies, veggies and more veggies. Whether you are trying to detox, clean up your nutrition or just get back on track, vegetables should absolutely be your “go-to” food. Make sure you get a serving with each main meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and also try to include them as snacks and pre or post workout. An ideal day would be a veggie omelette for breakfast, a big salad at lunch with lots of different veggies, a BbE Detox Green Smoothie post workout and grilled, roasted or steamed veggies with dinner.
- H. 2. O! Fill that water bottle up babes and keep drinking and refilling it all day. You want to drink at least 96 ounces a day. Limit juices and any sweetened drinks and definitely no soda. Staying hydrated keeps your metabolism up, helps you flush out toxins and also helps stabilize your hunger levels.
- Going modified Keto. I don’t personally subscribe to a completely ketogenic plan, but I do believe in not only the long term health benefits of a modified Ketogenic diet, but on a modified Keto diet, I have lost body fat and leaned out as well as experienced an increase in energy and a decrease in “hangriness”. It stabilizes your blood sugar and keeps you feeling full longer, not to mention how it benefits your skin, nails and hair. I’m so loving it! Are you wondering what a modified Keto diet looks like? The quick answer is: Low Carb + High Fat. What it looks like for me? Starting the day off with a cup of Bulletproof Coffee (coffee + 1 scoop Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder + 1 teaspoon Bulletproof XCT Oil), including half an avocado and lean protein with lunch and dinner, cooking with olive and coconut oil and eliminating grains, processed carbs and sugar all day, everyday.
- Which leads me to TIPS 4 & 5: Eliminating grains, processed carbs and sugar. If you really want to get rid of your unhealthy food cravings, stop feeling bloating and avoid energy crashes…no more grains or processed carbs. To really detox, you’re going to want to stop eating all grains…wheat and white flour obvi, but also the not so obvious: quinoa, rice, corn, oats and gluten free flours. By eliminating all grains and processed carbs, you might find you’re able to kick your carb addiction as well as reach your weight loss goals. If you want to read more, check out this article from Dr. Axe. Still not sure? Give it a try babes…I promise you’ll see and feel a difference after just a few days.
- And finally…let’s talk about the ultimate culprit…sugar. Sugar is by far the most addictive food and including it in your daily diet is absolutely the cause of your sugar cravings. It might be a little tough in the beginning, but following the other 4 BbE Detox tips will definitely make it easier. Eating more healthy fats will help you feel satisfied and full and decreasing your carb intake will help with your cravings. Go 10 days without grains and sugar and you will be amazed! Your skin will be glowing, your clothes will fit looser, you’ll sleep better, you’ll have more energy and be way less cranky. Get a jump start on this now. Why wait until New Years? Seriously one of the best ways to implement some really positive eating habits and start creating a healthier lifestyle for yourself! Bottoms up! xo